Friday, April 21, 2017

Using the Lord’s Name


No using the name of God, your God, in curses or silly banter; God won't put up with the irreverent use of his name. Exodus 20:7 (The Message)

I’ve noticed something recently, Christians of good faith and spiritual maturity aren’t using the term “God” very much or even Jesus Christ when talking about why they think, feel, believe what they do. Now it may be that I just am not listening closely enough. Amy will tell you that I can be sitting there looking like I’m paying attention but really, I’m not catching anything that is being said. But I don’t think this is true in this situation even if it is true in some others.

I think that we shy away from “God” talk because we don’t want to offend or put people off. But if we fail to mention God then we lessen the impact of what we have to say. I think some folks feel that it is to presumptuous to say that “God has shown you” or “God has led me to” or some such phrase. I also think many of us (maybe me included) are worried that if we say things like this we will be ignored because it sounds like the language of those Christians that try to speak for God or those that use their religion to separate.

I was involved recently in a lot of conversation about why I am a pastor, why I believe what I believe, why I feel strongly about how the world works. It was conversation so I was listening to how others answered the questions, how they talked about the vision they have for life, the church, faithfulness, etc. In a lot of that conversation God was not claimed. People would hint at the holy connection – my faith tells me…in my pray life I have come to see…we have discerned a particular direction… these types of statements hint at the presence and influence of God but fail to name God directly.

I must tell you that I sympathize with this hesitation. To bring God or Christ or the Spirit into the picture is to take a great risk of being misinterpreted or misunderstood or dismissed entirely. But to refrain is to dismiss the source of your revelation, insight, or discernment. I think it is all in how you say it. It is in the way you present it. It is how humble and honest and authentic you are that will help you be heard.

To say, “God has shown me the way!” and do so with force, intimidation and an obvious air of superiority is to bring that declaration into question. To say, “Through my prayer, study, and reflection I sense that God is wanting us to head in this direction.” Is to be honest about how you came to your conclusion without the baggage of “divine revelation” to you and you alone. When talking about your personal vision for things or your mission in life or the vision you have for an institution and your concept of its mission it is not only appropriate but I think necessary to bring your God given insight into the conversation. But you can't do it as if yours is the one and only true and real revelation. I think God reveals things to us but because of our basic human nature we only grasp pieces and parts and it takes others to construct the whole. To own that God has been a part of your position is not to exclude the input of others. It is to honestly state how you have gotten to the place you are and can free others to share what God has shared with them.

I think as faithful people we need to speak the name of God when it is appropriate. Instead of being afraid we are using the Lord’s name in vain maybe we should fear not naming God at all. To have a faith is to be in a deep and meaningful connection with God but to refrain from naming that connection is to lessen that relationship. If you are authentic in your life others will not be put off when you use the name of God.

Dear God, help me to name you when it is appropriate. Help me to share with others what you share with me and to make sure and give you the credit. May I use your name correctly to its glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment