Thursday, August 13, 2015

Morning Connections

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  - Lamentations 3:22-23 (NRSV)

Every morning, four mornings a week I get out of the house around 6:10 am and walk. Half the year it’s dark to mostly dark. Half the year it is light to most light. I try to walk no matter the weather and I do so for my health, my doctors said I should and I agreed! After almost two years of this I am also now doing it for several other reasons: I feel better when I walk, I like the alone time, it starts my day off right, and I enjoy the walk.

I have noticed something interesting as my routine has developed and I have settled into a pattern, I am making morning connections. I walk alone. I have my ear buds in and music playing. But still morning connections are happening. You see there is a steady, small parade of people that I encounter on my walks. Some are walking, some running, a few walking dogs, and a couple bike riders. Most are alone; there are pairs that look like friends, spouses, or parents and young adults. I don’t see the same folks every time I walk but I do see them regularly. Some come out when it is lighter and warmer but a lot are like me, all season folks.

The thing about us is we make connections. It may be a wave. It could be a smile, maybe a tip of the head or a nod. But we connect with one another. We share something in those early morning moments. It could be an affirmation of each other’s efforts to get in shape. It might be an acknowledgment of shared determination. It might be a knowing what the other is going through. Whatever it is we connect. So much so that at least for me when I fail to see someone I normally encounter I wonder if they are ok. And if several of our regular encounters don’t happen I worry about what might have caused them to miss their morning excursion. And when I have to miss a few mornings I hope they aren’t too worried about me.

I have also noticed something else, there are a very few who will not acknowledge you. They look straight ahead and even when you wave, nod or say hi they just march or run or ride on without so much as a recognition of your presence. When this happens I feel slighted and even a bit annoyed because my other morning encounters matter and being ignored somehow lessens the morning’s experience. I have come to realize that the simple act of acknowledging another person matters and makes a difference. A smile, a nod, and a spoken “hi” all have a certain power that is unique and universal. You see I walk pass by an Asian woman, a Hispanic woman runs past me, a black man runs my route, a 20 something with tattoos and a beanie crosses my path, a pair of older men play with a dog and we all wave, nod or say “hi” and everyone does so with a smile. In those brief and often fleeing morning encounters we all recognize ourselves in the other and our common bond as human beings.

When I lived in Boston people made fun of me because I made a point of look at people and being nice. I let others get on the train ahead of me. I held doors open. I smiled and said “hi.” I wanted to make some kind of connection and I wanted to make sure that we all knew we were together in this thing called life. After saying “hi” to this one older man every time I passed him on his bench for weeks he called out to me and when I paused he said, “Thanks for noticing me.” There is power in a simple nod, a smile or a “hi.”

So I encourage you, no matter where you live and no matter the routine you have, whenever you encounter someone smile or nod or say “hi.” It is a connection that is so important in a world where the individual seems lost. When you acknowledge another it makes you both more human.

Dear God, thank you for my morning encounters and for the people I recognize on my walks. Help me to always acknowledge others and to remember the power of a smile, nod or “hi.” Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment