Friday, July 24, 2015

Do Something For Yourself


 One of the scribes came near and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, he asked him, "Which commandment is the first of all?" Jesus answered, "The first is, 'Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one; you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.' The second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."  Mark 12:28-31 (NRSV)

I struggle with this passage A LOT. I often get caught in a cycle of trying to figure out exactly what it means to love God with all my heart and soul and mind and strength. There are days and times when all my heart and soul and mind and strength are needed to just get myself through the day or event. Sometimes I barely have enough mental capacity to do the routine in my life. Occasionally I find my mind unable to process all that it is being bombarded with. There are event moments (honestly sometimes hours and even days) when my soul aches and doubts assail me. And don’t get me started on the limits of my physical strength as I find myself marching ever onward in the realm of becoming even more chronologically gifted.

Now add to these limits and realities the second part, the stuff about loving my neighbor and I sometimes feel unable to be a faithful child of God. I mean how do I love some of the people in this world? How do I look past the hatred, the blind fanaticism? How do I not hear the hurtful words they speak and the destructive actions they do? I can love the guy that cuts me off in traffic. I can love Donald Trump in all his insanity. I can even love the Confederate Battle Flag waving South Carolinian. But how do I love the ISIS believer who is training children to behead infidels? How do I love the woman who drives her car into the water and drowns her children because she thinks they will be better off dead? How do I love the young white man who guns down people in a Bible study?

And what really gets me is the very last part of this passage, that part about loving yourself. Really, in some ways and on some days loving others as I love myself would be worst than hating them. You know what I mean, those days when you hate yourself for falling off your diet or for the way you spoke to your spouse or for the angry outburst you visited upon your children. There are those days and times when you just don’t love yourself and in fact you love others more than you love yourself. So how do I love God and my neighbor when I can’t even love myself? How do I get out from under my cloud of self-loathing and once again love who I am? This is the question that haunts me the most when I am not at my best.

But don’t fear; I don’t get not lost in a pit of self-abhorrence because I have a way to once again love me. I do something kind for myself. I treat myself nicely. I stop beating myself up and instead do something to build myself up. Sometimes it is as easy as listening to a favorite song. Other times it’s a half day at the Japanese Garden or the Art Museum. Still other times it’s a stout and fries at the local pub. A sure way to help myself feel the love is to go to the most recent Disney animated movie or watch the Minions or the Madagascar Penguins.  And when it is really necessary or even when it isn’t I get together with a friend to just enjoy one another’s’ company. When I do these things I can find a way to love myself and that helps me to once again love others.

This isn’t a fix for all that I mentioned earlier, especially the extremists and the haters. Those take prayer, faith and a huge dose of just trusting that somehow God will help me find a way to love them. Which reminds me, loving God with everything I am and everything I have is really simple if I trust what I believe; do the rights things, work for justice and walk through my day with God at my side.

So I encourage you, do something for yourself today, find the love and feel the love for yourself and then share the love with others!

Dear God, help me to do the rights things, to work for justice, to walk with you. Help me love those I find unlovable. Help me find ways to love myself. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for showing me how to love others. Thank you for the ways I have to love myself so that I can love you and others. Amen.


Your comments are welcome. To be removed from this list reply to this email with your wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment